Once you have shingles, it is urgent to treat it. While the matter is with shingles relief, every step taken during the initial stages can undoubtedly save you from nasty damages. To avoid the pain and panic, know the initial remedies and medical measures to treat your nasty skin disease accurately, making it heal faster.
If you had never caught shingles, now is the best time to learn how to treat it and what to avoid so you will know what to do in case you become affected by this disease. Aside from that, you may also prevent having shingles. If you have caught Shingles already, don’t worry, you can minimize it with proper tools and methods of treatments. There are many ways to opt for in order to heal shingles properly and one of the easiest ways is to do it at your home.
Under severe conditions, you need to have a medical consultation and take prescribed medicines, as well as changing your lifestyle. However, the most important of all is you need to know what exactly shingles is and how someone can be a victim of this skin disease. Of course, you do not need to have an encyclopedic knowledge on entire medical science to treat shingles but some information will help you safeguard yourself against the panic, despair and utter pain of being infected by Shingles.
What is Shingles?
Shingles is caused by a virus attack called Varicella-Zoster and it is the same virus that is responsible for making patients suffer from Chicken Pox. Your itchy and blistery skin could be the sign of this disease. Moreover, it might cause an inflammation to your cranial nerve or spinal area. If you have seen someone else being attacked with this before, you are lucky to know how it would harm you and by this, you are already prepared. If you have not seen the symptoms of shingles yet, you might wrongly guess the skin disease you have got. So, as soon as you see any inflammation or blister on your skin, do not disregard this. Act as soon as possible to treat this. The most common victims of this disease are people of old age who were affected by chicken pox during their childhood. Some may also be affected if their mothers had shingles during pregnancy.
How to relieve it against itch and pain?
Use an ice-water soaked cloth on the blister for 20 to 25 minutes. You should observe and see the signs of pain reduction after doing this. If the pain persists, repeat the process again. Keep repeating this procedure until the pain subsides and when you feel more comfortable. If you are not able to avail ice immediately, get your cloth soaked in water and apply this on the affected area for the time being. You should collect ice after using this.
Upon consultation with your physician, you will certainly prescribed anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen or Aspirin to lessen the pain and antiviral drugs such as Valaciclovir, Famciclovir and Aciclovir to reduce inflammation.
Try availing local anesthetic cream which can be used topically on the blisters in accordance with what your physician prescribes. Avoid buying unknown over-the-counter creams because these can produce side effects and may turn your skin into its worst and ugliest condition. Buy lotions or creams containing calamine.
Follow these procedures:
- Soak 1 tablespoon of dried lemon balm leaves in 1 cup of water for 15 minutes (Boiled water is preferred on this occasion). Do this three to four times a day. Lemon balm consists of citric acid which stops the further reproduction of virus and helps the blister heal fast. You can also use zinc and selenium which are available in an antioxidant formula.
- Get adequate meals daily. Try to consume more fruits and vegetables so you will have enough resistance to fight the virus existing in your body. Try to get enough rest so you will have a stronger immune system. Since the healing of shingles requires natural remedies or doctor prescribed medications, do not waste your time waiting for it to heal on its own. As long as the virus is in your body, you need to consistently receive proper medical treatment and effective medication.
- If you are buying medicines again and the sores become dry, you may apply corn starch or baking soda while waiting for your medicines.
Things to Remember
- People, who have caught chicken pox earlier, have greater probability of being struck by shingles. So, if you are on your 60s, you should be more aware of its symptoms and prepare for it.
- In order to stay away from scratching, cut your fingernails and consider wearing gloves. Under severe conditions, gloves will save you from random scratching. Scratching will allow you to spread the disease into other parts of the body.
- Avoid piercing the blisters because popped blisters will result in having ugly scars or body marks.
- Shingles may cause you eye problems if the surrounding nerves of your eyes are infected. In this case, you need to immediately contact an eye-specialist.
How many days will Shingles rashes fade?
After the blisters popped, Shingles’ scabs and crust will normally fade within 7 – 10 days. Some may get vaccines to prevent the shingles from coming again.
Whatever the reasons are, it is very important to know the shingles relief. As pain becomes consistent or becomes worse, you will surely could not endure it. However, shingles treatment may require proper care and maintenance as well. You may need to leave your bad health habits and follow a healthier lifestyle in order to get the desired longevity but first of all you, need to become free from depression. Depression can be one of the worst effects as this skin disease makes the patient look ugly. If you are depressed, your physician will prescribe you to take anti-depressant drugs. Since there are proper treatments available, you don’t have to be depressed at all. Get well and make yourself beautiful again inside and out.