Luckily, here, in front of you, is the answer for the shingles home remedies. Many will consult friends, relatives or search the Internet if they feel something unusual and then, the consultant will simply say that you must see a doctor. Common sense right? Let’s face it, if money or health insurance is not a problem especially to economically-challenged countries, one will see a physician immediately to be sure about his or her condition but how about if frequently answered questions about a certain disease in books and the Internet will help the affected person to save time, cost and effort if symptoms of the disease are just mild and can simply be remedied at home.
Summary about Shingles
The varicella-zoster virus which causes chicken pox can attack again that will cause Shingles (zoster or zona). Shingles is a skin disease caused by a viral infection resulting to a painful clustered blisters or rash. Its other name is zoster or herpes zoster. This skin disease usually happened in older adults especially from ages 50-60 but it doesn’t mean that young people would be exempted. Everyone can get shingles from having weak immune system, stress, medications, aging and cancer treatments.
Upon aging, there’s the possibility that shingles will strike. An individual can be surely attacked by this virus if his or her mother during pregnancy have shingles or chicken pox or if he or she have already acquired chicken pox during his or her childhood years. When someone has already been healed from the chicken pox, the virus still remains in the nervous system.
When does a Shingles symptom needed to be taken seriously?
Please read “SHINGLES: A DREADFUL SKIN CONDITION” in this website first before reading this post so you will know if this shingles can be treated at home or if the affected individual must be admitted to the hospital immediately.
If the affected area is on the head including face and if you are pregnant, seek medical help because:
- Shingles in the eye can cause pain and inflammation that may lead to temporary or permanent loss of vision.
- Shingles in the ear causes hearing problems
- Shingles in the tongue (herpes simplex) can cause not only eating problems but can also develop tongue sores or mouth ulcers as well.
If there is a pain but without rashes or blisters, it might be shingles that can lead from months to years of nerve pain if not treated properly.
Do it yourself Shingles home care
To relieve symptoms and prevent further complications, these tips must be followed for faster healing.
- Rest and sleep to strengthen the immune system.
- Drink plenty of fluids to lessen irritation by staying hydrated so skin can be prevented from drying out.
- Good hygiene (including trimming your fingernails to reduce scratching)
- Use cool and moist compress to ease the pain or itch. A compress with aluminum acetate solution might help too.
- While waiting to have medicines, these baking ingredients, baking soda or corn starch may also be applied to dry the sores for a shorter healing process.
- Regular hand washing, avoiding picking and scratching blisters, making the crust fall off naturally will prevent infection of shingles.
- To clean away crusts and decrease oozing, the affected area must be soaked with tap water and dressing must be applied to it.
Analgesics, acetaminophen, topical anesthetic or topical lotions containing calamine, anticonvulsants, optoids, antidepressants, aspirin or ibuprofen can ease the pain caused by shingles.
To reduce inflammation and complications, antiviral medicines might be prescribed such as Aciclovir (Zovirax), Valaciclovir (Valtrex) and Famciclovir (Famvir). During the healing stage, shingles will dry up forming scabs or crusts and will begin to fade within 7-10 days.
For mild shingle rashes, people who have this can manage these rashes without pain medications but majority still needs medications to manage pain. Some are content with buying over-the-counter painkillers such as:
- Medications aiming the nerves such as gabapentin or tricyclic medications such as nortriptyline, desipramine, or amitriptyline could be used.
These over-the counter painkillers prescribed by a physician are still needed. Worse, if severe pain persists, the person must be admitted to the hospital and will have to be treated by intravenous pain medications.
Other home remedies for shingles rashes or blisters:
- Dab the cotton with colloidal silver or hydrogen peroxide and apply it to the infected rashes or blisters.
- The popular Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (Bragg) is a big help. Mix ½ cup of it in 2 cups of water and use a cotton to dab to the affected areas.
- Combine or make a mixture of leek juice, raw honey and aloe vera gel. Then, apply this mixture to the rashes.
- Lemon balm is the only herb in the mint family that has antiviral properties against herpes.
- Many said that using Cayenne or chili pepper is effective. It contains capsaicin which is used topically for pain relief. If using it is very messy, try the ointment form, Zostrix. It is recommended to apply this four to five times daily to the affected area.
- While on shingles, enjoy eating by adding garlic to food every day. Garlic has anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties to fight diseases.
- Licorice, known for having immune-boosting compounds, can be bought in pharmacies as licorice cream or ointment. Drinking licorice tea or applying a strong one to the rash three times a day might help.
- Lomatium root can enhance the immune system and the recommended dosage for this is 500 mg four times a day every day.
- The nutritional supplements to fight shingles are vitamins C, E, B12 and Zinc.
- Vitamin C for anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. It boosts the immune system.
- Vitamin E for solving persistent nerve pain caused by zoster virus which is known as postherpetic neuralgia.
- Vitamin B12 for good nerve function and relieving pain.
- Zinc for reducing the frequency, duration and severity of shingles rashes or blisters outbreak.
The final say
Shingles home remedies or treatment is a big help and can be a first aid in treating shingles. If rashes or pain becomes worse or if you are pregnant, stop self-medicating and seek medical help to prevent danger in life.